Why zero waste matters? 

Why zero waste matters? 

Zero Waste is one of the fast growing, and easiest climate action strategies that people can implement even today to immediately reduce greenhouse gas emissions. 

 

 

    It seems that role of everyone in environmental problems is finally getting the attention it needed. You have probably been recommended to using less plastics, and you might even know that micro plastics are ending up later in our food chain. Zero waste is strong environmental movement that is gathering steam. So, what is the zero-waste movement about? What would you need to start a zero-waste lifestyle?

 

 

  Even if you’re already recycling, it isn’t enough.

 

 

    Just to compare, in 2016, 47% of waste was recycled or composted, but the other 53% either ends up in landfills or is burned. The reason is because the recycling is pretty expensive, or most of items made of a mix of materials, and are hard to recycle. Moreover, there is a limit to how many times materials can be recycled. 

 

   Paper can usually be recycled only five to seven times, and plastics only once or twice.  

 

   We can recycle paper five to seven times, but plastic only once or twice. And when plastics are coming to landfills, it takes almost 1000 for decomposing, with additional leaking of hazardous chemicals into the ground.

    Another places where our waste ends up often are oceans and other waters, where plastic can’t naturally decompose, under the force of waves plastic are breaking down into microplastics. Small pieces are later often eaten by sea animals, and might even appear in our food chain.

   The main goal of zero waste movement is to reduce the pollution of the earth by minimizing the use of waste. In other words, this movement is trying to avoid making any waste that cannot be recycled or biodegraded.

 

 

There are 5 main principles of Zero Waste movement:

 

Refuse: Always refuse using single plastic and plastic freebies, things such as plastic straw, plastic shopping bag, free pen, should be avoided. Instead, try to find eco-friendly alternatives, such as bamboo straws, paper bags, etc.

 

Reduce: Minimize the number of plastic products in your daily life. You can easily subscribe for Kiwi Eco Box and start receive all essential products on monthly basis to slowly build your zero-waste routine.

 

Reuse: Look at the products you want to throw, think twice maybe you can reuse it, or give it to someone who might need it, or maybe sell it online. Another way to reuse products is by repairing them, if you live in a big city you probably have a repair shops around for clothing, shoes, as well as electrical appliances. 

 

Recycle: Recycle products that can’t be reused, remember that you need to separate the different materials.

 

Rot: For the organic waste, after you’re done using it, you should leave it to rot. The best way to let your organic waste to rot is through creating own compost pile.

 

To summarize zero-waste movement, is important to say that is something more than just recycling products and avoiding buying unnecessary items. It’s also about changing your mindset and habits. Follow Kiwi Eco Box for staying updated about latest zero waste news, and tips.

mesh bags, pears, magazine on the table
mesh bags, glass bottles and jars inside the basket on the table
eco-friendly products mesh bags, pears, flowers, magazine on the table

 

Zero Waste is one of the fast growing, and easiest climate action strategies that people can implement even today to immediately reduce greenhouse gas emissions. 

 

 

    It seems that role of everyone in environmental problems is finally getting the attention it needed. You have probably been recommended to using less plastics, and you might even know that micro plastics are ending up later in our food chain. Zero waste is strong environmental movement that is gathering steam. So, what is the zero-waste movement about? What would you need to start a zero-waste lifestyle?

 

 

  Even if you’re already recycling, it isn’t enough.

 

 

    Just to compare, in 2016, 47% of waste was recycled or composted, but the other 53% either ends up in landfills or is burned. The reason is because the recycling is pretty expensive, or most of items made of a mix of materials, and are hard to recycle. Moreover, there is a limit to how many times materials can be recycled. 

 

   Paper can usually be recycled only five to seven times, and plastics only once or twice.  

 

   We can recycle paper five to seven times, but plastic only once or twice. And when plastics are coming to landfills, it takes almost 1000 for decomposing, with additional leaking of hazardous chemicals into the ground.

    Another places where our waste ends up often are oceans and other waters, where plastic can’t naturally decompose, under the force of waves plastic are breaking down into microplastics. Small pieces are later often eaten by sea animals, and might even appear in our food chain.

   The main goal of zero waste movement is to reduce the pollution of the earth by minimizing the use of waste. In other words, this movement is trying to avoid making any waste that cannot be recycled or biodegraded.

 

 

There are 5 main principles of Zero Waste movement:

 

Refuse: Always refuse using single plastic and plastic freebies, things such as plastic straw, plastic shopping bag, free pen, should be avoided. Instead, try to find eco-friendly alternatives, such as bamboo straws, paper bags, etc.

 

Reduce: Minimize the number of plastic products in your daily life. You can easily subscribe for Kiwi Eco Box and start receive all essential products on monthly basis to slowly build your zero-waste routine.

 

Reuse: Look at the products you want to throw, think twice maybe you can reuse it, or give it to someone who might need it, or maybe sell it online. Another way to reuse products is by repairing them, if you live in a big city you probably have a repair shops around for clothing, shoes, as well as electrical appliances. 

 

Recycle: Recycle products that can’t be reused, remember that you need to separate the different materials.

 

Rot: For the organic waste, after you’re done using it, you should leave it to rot. The best way to let your organic waste to rot is through creating own compost pile.

 

To summarize zero-waste movement, is important to say that is something more than just recycling products and avoiding buying unnecessary items. It’s also about changing your mindset and habits. Follow Kiwi Eco Box for staying updated about latest zero waste news, and tips.

mesh bags and glass water bottles, glass jars inside the basket on the table

zero waste subscription box zero waste subscription box eco friendly eco friendly products sustainable products environmentally friendly products reusable products eco friendly home products